Hemp and cannabis indicia, two plants that can give rise to confusion, because although they belong to the same genus, the difference between Cannabis and Hemp both at a morphological level and in the composition of their active principles, have made these two sides of the same coin have very different uses. In this post, we explain the difference between Cannabis and Hemp, and how they influence the use and cultivation of the plant.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CANNABIS AND HEMP
- Hemp, also called industrial hemp for its many applications in this field.
- Hemp is used to producing oils, fiber, and cellulose, which at an industrial level have multiple uses.
- Morphologically, hemp tends to be taller than marijuana and can reach up to 5 meters in height.
- The stalks of hemp are thicker and less hollow and do not have many branches.
- The hemp is cultivated in general to a very high degree of density, For-example, plants grow very close to each other, they are little branched plants and therefore the results are very thick fields.
- In the cultivation of hemp, the pollination of female plants is allowed, with the aim that they produce seed, as it is one of the products that is most used from this plant.
Hemp seeds and oil are not only suitable for consumption but also have a high nutritional value. As it is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially linoleic acid (Omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (Omega-3).
Hemp seeds and oil also contain gamma-linoleic acid, which is used to treat ailments such as neurodermatitis, arthritis, and PMS.
Like flaxseed or cottonseed oil, hempseed oil can be processed into countless products such as biodiesel, soap, cosmetics, paints, and varnishes.
The strong natural fiber of the hemp stems can be the basis for recyclable and biodegradable textiles, clothing, canvas, rope, and building materials.
The rope and canvas (canvas), made of hemp, has been used for thousands of years in all types of boats for its durability and resistance to deterioration produced by the salt of seawater.
Cannabis indicia (marijuana) characteristics
- The marijuana had high levels of THC and a low percentage of CBD.
- Marijuana is smaller than hemp.
- The stalks of marijuana plants are thinner and they just have flowers. The cultivation of marijuana, more space is left between plants so that they can develop correctly.
- Marijuana has more lateral branching and more abundant and voluminous flowers.
- By not being pollinated, marijuana plants continue to produce large flower clusters, the highly prized seedless buds that are used for both purposes medicinal as recreational. The marijuana considers the illegal drug because of its psychoactive effect produced by THC.
USES OF MARIJUANA
Cannabis (marijuana) used for only relaxation purposes, to laugh with friends, or simply to enjoy the psychoactive effects of the plant.
The THC levels of the plant increase through hybridization and the selection of different genetic cannabis, with the advent of CBD-rich strains, the paradigm seems to be changing.
This plant to use for the treatment of multiple ailments and, today, it has proven to be very effective for the treatment of various diseases such as epilepsy, neurodegenerative diseases, and even autism.